This ain’t your average potato salad!
It’s grilling season! There’s nothing we love more in the warm-weather months than a good cookout with some burgers, some dogs, and all of the fixins. But after a while those BBQ side dishes can get a little bit stale, can’t they? How many times can you serve up a plate of macaroni salad or a pile of corn on the cob before you start to crave a little variety? This summer, mix it up with some more unusual sides to go with that grilled fare.
Spice up that corn on the cob with some chili lime butter, for example, and instead of mayo-based potato or macaroni salad, try out our sweet potato salad recipe instead. It’s a little sweet, a little spicy, and all kinds of tasty! And, since it’s National Fruits and Vegetables Month, we’ve spiked this potato salad with lots of healthy kale.
If you’re new to kale, don’t worry! It’s easy to prepare. Kale is a dark, leafy green along the lines of collards or spinach, and it adds a nutritional punch to any dish. You’re already getting 30 percent of your daily vitamin C and plenty of vitamin A from the sweet potatoes, and kale adds a healthy dose of iron and other nutrients that may protect your health.
Sweet Potato and Kale Salad with Fresh Pineapple
- 2 large Sweet PotatOHs, microwaved and cut into 1″ cubes
- 1 bunch kale, chopped
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium shallot, minced
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and chopped
- 3/4 cup fresh pineapple chopped (you can substitute canned in juice pineapple, drained)
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 1) In a large bowl, combine the kale, vinegar, salt, and olive oil. Dig in with your hands and massage the kale until it begins to wilt and soften.
- 2) Add the remaining ingredients, tossing to mix well. Serve at room temperature or chilled.