Smooth and richly flavored from roasting, these sweet potatoes are delicious served with pork, poultry, or veal.
These instructions meet the Centers for Disease Control and Preventionʼs strict nutrition guidelines as a healthy recipe.
- 5 medium sweet potatoes
- 2 Tbsp. maple syrup
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- Black pepper, to taste
- 1/2 tsp. ground cardamom (or ground nutmeg)
- 1 Tbsp. salted butter
1) Preheat oven to 375° F and place oven rack in middle position.
2) Scrub sweet potatoes well, place on baking sheet and bake for 35 to 45 minutes until very soft to the squeeze. Baking time will differ depending on freshness and size of the sweet potatoes.
3) Remove potatoes from oven; cool briefly to handling temperature. Cut both ends off each potato and carefully peel each potato.
4) Place in a deep bowl and mash with potato masher, large fork, or back of a large spoon. Season with maple syrup, salt, black pepper, and ground cardamom or nutmeg, mixing well. If necessary, reheat briefly in microwave. Scoop into serving bowl and top with butter.
Total Fat: 3g
Saturated Fat: 1.9g
Dietary Fiber: 5g
% of Calories from Fat: 12%
Each serving provides: An excellent source of vitamin A, vitamin C and calcium, and a good source of folate and fiber.
Credit: Recipe was developed for Produce for Better Health Foundation (PBH) by Chef Carmen I. Jones, CCP. This recipe meets PBH and Centers for Disease Control & Prevention (CDC) nutrition standards that maintain fruits and vegetables as healthy foods.