This red, white and blue potato salad is patriotic and delicious! It’s a great dish to enjoy on Fourth of July, or any cookout during the summer season. Created by Jill Melton, MS, RD, former senior food editor of Cooking Light, and director of communications for Food Insight.
To make recipe gluten-free, check the label and skip or substitute recipe ingredients marked with a (*).
- 1 pound small white potatoes (Creamer Fingerling or Yukon Gold)
- 1 pound small red potatoes
- 12 ounces Purple Peruvian potatoes
- 3 tablespoons walnut oil or olive oil, divided
- 2 ounces chopped ham*
- 1/3 cup chopped walnuts
- 8 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons sherry or white balsamic vinegar
- 1 cup finely chopped red or orange bell pepper
- 4 green onions, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
1) Cut the potatoes into 1 1/2 inch pieces (do not peel).
2) Steam for 25 minutes or until the potatoes are tender.
3) Heat 1 tablespoon walnut oil in a medium skillet. Add ham, walnuts and garlic. Sauté 10 minutes.
4) Add sherry vinegar, stir well.
5) In a large bowl, toss ham mixture with potatoes, additional 2 tablespoons walnut oil, red pepper, green onions, salt and pepper.
6) Serve warm or cold with grilled steak, burgers, chicken or fish.
Fat: 10 g
Cholesterol: 5 mg
Vitamin C: 40 mg
Fiber: 4 g
Sodium: 260 mg
Potassium: 720 mg
Protein: 6 g