These nachos are hearty enough to fill up a ranch hand; but they’re good for you too!
These instructions meet the Centers for Disease Control and Preventionʼs strict nutrition guidelines as a healthy recipe.
- 1 lb. small red bliss potatoes, skins on
- 3 seconds cooking oil spray
- 8 oz. extra lean ground turkey breast
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 2/3 cup reduced-fat cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 cup iceberg lettuce, shredded
- 1 medium tomato, diced
- 3/4 cup cucumber, peeled and diced
- 1 tablespoon cilantro, chopped
- 3/4 cup salsa, mild
1) Slice potatoes into small circles. Coat them with cooking oil spray for 3 seconds. Bake in the oven at 450°F for 25-30 minutes, depending on desired darkness.
2) Brown ground turkey breast with chili powder in pan over MEDIUM heat for 8-10 minutes. Remove potatoes from the oven and turn off.
3) Place the potatoes on a small oven safe platter or long dish. Top with cheese and turkey, put back in the oven to melt, about 2 minutes. Remove from oven and top with lettuce, tomato, cucumber, cilantro, and salsa.
Total Fat: 2.8g
Saturated Fat: 0.7g
Dietary Fiber: 4g
% of Calories from Fat: 14%
Each serving provides: An excellent source of vitamin C, and a good source of vitamin A, potassium and fiber.
Credit: Recipe was developed for Produce for Better Health Foundation by Chef Mark Goodwin, CEC, CNC. This recipe meets PBH and Centers for Disease Control & Prevention (CDC) nutrition standards that maintain fruits and vegetables as healthy foods.