The quickest way to a delicious potato soup, with variations for broccoli, chicken and cheddar; corn chowder, and minestrone.
Potatoes are naturally gluten-free. To ensure this dish is too, check the label and skip or substitute ingredients marked with a (*).
- 2 cups stock or reduced-sodium broth*
- 1 1/4 lbs. white potatoes, peeled and cut into bite-size cubes
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 small carrot, peeled and chopped
- 1 cup fat-free half and half or milk
- 1/2 tsp thyme or Italian seasoning*
- Sea salt or garlic salt to taste
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
1) Bring broth to a boil in a large saucepan. Chop vegetables while broth is heating, then add to saucepan. Return to a boil; reduce heat and simmer, covered, for 20 minutes.
2) Let cool slightly, then puree until smooth, or until soup is desired consistency. Stir in remaining Ingredients and cook for 5 minutes more.
Broccoli, Chicken and Cheddar Soup
Stir 1 cup each: small broccoli florets, diced cooked chicken and reduced-fat sharp Cheddar cheese into hot soup. Cook for 5 minutes more.
Potato Corn Chowder Soup
Increase broth to 2 1/2 cups and stir in 1 1/2 cups frozen corn (thawed) and 3/4 cup diced ham. Simmer for 20 minutes, then press potatoes against the side of the pan with the back of a wooden spoon to break up and thicken soup. Reduce fat-free half and half to 1/2 cup and add shredded Parmesan cheese.
Chunky Potato Minestrone Soup
Increase broth to 3 cups. Reduce potatoes to 1/2 lb. and increase carrots to two. Omit half and half and instead stir in 2 cups prepared pasta sauce and 1/2 cup canned white beans with the vegetables; simmer for 20 minutes. Serve with a sprinkle of Parmesan cheese, if desired.
Vitamin C: 60%
Carbohydrates: 41 g
Fiber: 3 g
Protein: 9 g
Potassium: 205 mg
Broccoli, Chicken and Cheddar Soup nutritional analysis per serving without skins
Calories: 340, Fat: 8g, Saturated Fat: 4g, Trans Fat: 0g, Cholesterol: 40mg, Sodium: 590mg, Potassium: 309mg, Carbohydrates: 42g, Fiber: 4g, Sugar: 8g, Protein: 22g, Vitamin A: 60%, Vitamin C: 90%, Calcium: 50%, Iron: 10%
Potato Corn Chowder Soup nutritional analysis per serving without skin
Calories: 340, Fat: 7g, Saturated Fat: 2.5g, Trans Fat: 7g, Cholesterol: 35mg, Sodium: 520mg, Potassium: 335mg, Carbohydrates: 49g, Fiber: 4g, Sugar: 8g, Protein: 21g, Vitamin A: 45%, Vitamin C: 60%, Calcium: 15%, Iron: 10%
Chunky Potato Minestrone Soup nutritional analysis per serving without skins
Calories: 230, Fat: 2.5g, Saturated Fat: 0.5g, Trans Fat: 0g, Cholesterol: 5mg, Sodium: 710mg, Potassium: 390mg, Carbohydrates: 42g, Fiber: 6g, Sugar: 15 g, Protein: 10g, Vitamin A: 80%, Vitamin C: 30%, Calcium: 4%, Iron: 8%