Follow this simple recipe to make mashed potatoes just right.
- 1 1/3 lbs (4 medium) potatoes, peeled, cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1 1/4 tsp salt, divided
- 2 tbsp butter or margarine, softened
- 1/4 to 2/3 cup hot milk or cream
1) In large saucepan, combine 5 cups water, potatoes and 1 tsp of the salt; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium; cover and cook 10 minutes or until potatoes are tender when pierced with a fork. Drain potatoes thoroughly in colander.
2) Return potatoes to saucepan; heat over medium-low heat 1 to 2 minutes to dry potatoes, stirring occasionally.
3) In saucepan, mash potatoes with potato masher or fork, or beat with electric hand mixer until chunky. Stir in butter, remaining 1/4 tsp salt and 1/4 cup of the hot milk. Add additional milk, a little at a time, if necessary, for desired consistency.
Season to taste with additional salt, if desired. Serve immediately.