Yellow and red smashed potatoes with sweet peppers, cilantro and a hint of chili powder.
- 5 small Yellow potatoes and 5 small red potatoes or other potato type of your choice (try russets, white or fingerlings)
- 1 pint sweet mini peppers (red, orange and yellow)
- 8 sprigs cilantro, leaves picked from stems
- 4 tbsp of fat-free sour cream or fat-free Greek yogurt (optional)
- Cooking spray
- Salt, chili powder and freshly ground pepper to taste
1) Place whole potatoes (do not poke) into microwave-safe covered dish. Microwave on high for 3 to 4 minutes.
2) While potatoes are cooking, cut mini peppers into small 1/4-inch slices. Spray a nonstick pan with cooking spray and heat to medium. Add peppers and sauté until they start to brown. Remove from pan and set aside.
3) Remove potatoes from microwave and, using a layer of paper towels to cover each potato, smash them on a cutting board until 1 3/4-inch thick. Helpful tip: Use the side of a coffee cup or flat cooking utensil to smash the potatoes.
4) Spray sauté pan with cooking spray, heat on high and add smashed potatoes. Cook for 1 to 2 minutes until potatoes start to brown.
5) On a plate, place potatoes and layer with sour cream or yogurt (optional), peppers and cilantro. Dust with salt, chili powder and pepper to taste. Serve warm.
Vitamin C: 70%