Garlic cloves cooked along with potatoes give this puree extra body and lots of flavor.
- 2 lbs all-purpose potatoes (about 6 medium potatoes), peeled and cut into chunks
- 6 cloves garlic, peeled
- Salt to taste
- 2 tsp butter
- 1 cup buttermilk
- Freshly ground white or black pepper to taste
1) Place potatoes and garlic in a large heavy saucepan. Add water to cover and season with salt. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium, cover, and cook until potatoes are very tender, 10 to 15 minutes.
2) Meanwhile, melt butter in a small saucepan over low heat and cook, swirling, until it turns a nutty brown, about 1 minute. Stir in buttermilk and heat until just warm (Do not overheat or it will curdle).
3) When potatoes are done, drain in a colander and return to the pan. Place pan over low heat and shake for about 1 minute to dry potatoes.
4) Mash the potatoes and garlic with a potato masher, an electric hand-held mixer or by working through a ricer.
5) Add enough of the buttermilk mixture to make a smooth puree. Season with salt and pepper and serve.
Vitamin C: 48% dv
Potassium: 20% dv