Are you planning a Cinco de Mayo shindig? Potatoes are a big part of Mexican cuisine, and they pair beautifully with traditional Mexican spices. We’ve rounded up some our favorite festive recipes to help you celebrate right!
The fifth of May is the anniversary of the Mexican army defeating the French in 1862, and it’s actually not a big holiday in Mexico. Here in the U.S., though, we love to celebrate with Mexican-themed fare, and of course plenty of frosty margaritas.
But sometimes we can overdo it on Cinco de Mayo, so balance out those margaritas with a good-for-you spread of healthy potato recipes! Check out our healthy Cinco de Mayo menu, along with a bonus recipe for our tangy (totally not healthy) margarita!
Kick things off with some tasty crowd-pleasing starters! If you’re not doing a sit-down shindig, you can just serve these appetizers as finger foods, so your guests will have something festive and healthy to munch on between cocktails.
- Baked Potato Nachos – Serve up our healthier twist on conventional nachos.
- Fiesta Potato Smashers – This colorful potato dish features plenty of healthy sweet peppers.
- Baked Sweet Potato Fries with Chipotle Ranch Dressing – OK, so fries aren’t traditional Mexican fare, but dip them in some chipotle ranch dressing, and you are in business!
The Main Event
Cinco de Mayo is on a Sunday this year, which means you can celebrate with a yummy brunch. We’ve got a few main course options for you, so whether you go brunchy or for more standard fare, we’ve got you covered!
- Mexican Potato Omelet – If a Mexican-themed brunch is what you’re after, this recipe is it.
- Quick & Healthy Chili Lime Potato Tacos – You can serve these healthy tacos up for a sit-down meal or set them out as finger food.
- Potato and Black Bean Burritos – If burritos are more your speed, check out this recipe that combines white and sweet potatoes for a healthy, satisfying main dish.
Cinco de Mayo Margarita
Margaritas are not what we’d call health food, but it’s a holiday, so indulge a little! We’ll never tell.
Makes: 8 margaritas
- 12 ounces tequila
- 8 ounces of triple sec
- 1 cup fresh lime juice
- 1/3 cup simple syrup (optional)
Pour all of the ingredients into the blender, adding enough ice so the liquid is just covering it. Blend until smooth, and serve immediately.
Image Credit: Remixed Creative Commons photo by Lee Edwin Coursey