Potatoes are full of stuff that’s good for kids. In fact, compared to rice and pasta, potatoes give you a bigger bang for your buck in terms of healthy nutrition:
- Carbohydrates: A good thing that’s getting a bad rap lately, carbs fuel both brains and bodies and are the main source of energy for growth and sports.
- B Vitamins: Helps your body put carbs to work, providing energy and staying healthy.
- Vitamin C: Essential for healthy skin, bones and hair.
- Fiber: Every body needs it. You know why.
- Folate: Helps your body make red blood cells.
Potatoes are not fattening
- Potatoes are naturally fat free; it’s what you put on top of them that may need to be enjoyed in moderation.
- If you’re looking for lower-cal, lower-fat potatoes recipes, check our recipe section.
Potatoes are satiating
- Kids get hungry fast, so they need quality foods that help them feel full longer and provide the energy they need to keep going. Potatoes can help!
Kids will eat them
- Of course there are lots of healthy foods to choose from. But all the Brussels sprouts in the world won’t help, if they just get pushed around the plate. After all, it’s not really nutrition until your child chews and swallows it.
The Great Back-To-School Spud-Off
These next two weeks—from September 3 through the 16th— we’re celebrating back-to-school time with a Facebook contest that’s all about kids who love of potatoes. A great way to kick off the new school year, our contest highlights how potatoes give kids the healthy nutrition they need to do well in the classroom. Best of all, we’re giving you a chance to win fun Back-To-School prizes — all you have to do is share why your kids love potatoes so much!
Entering is Easy
Submit a fun photo of your kid eating spuds and tell us what he or she loves so much about munching on potatoes. Then, share your post with your friends and family, encourage them to vote for your submission and share it with others. The six entries with the most votes will win prizes — including a grand prize of a $1,000 Visa gift card for school supplies.
So what are you waiting for? Click below to go to the contest page and submit your photo now. Good luck — this will be fun!